Cowgirl Tunes

Friday, November 12, 2004

Friday Night

Ahhhh...home at last. It was a rather long drive, strangely enough. Usually the drive from Phoenix to LA takes about 6-6.5 hours, but it seems like it took forever today. I started to fall asleep about 1 hour outside of Phoenix so I quickly pulled over in a rest stop to catch a few zzzz's. That's a new one for me. I used to just get it in my mind that I would get to my destination at all costs, but I am slowly learning that it is OKAY to pull over and get some shut eye. I hope the world is a much safer place because I do that.

Driving across the wide expanse of desert called Arizona gives you lots to think about, but I find it funny that I have nothing really to write about tonight. But then again....I do.

So I was watching some Phoenix news channel last night in my hotel room. There was an extremely interesting and shocking story. They were unveiling something dispicable that is happening right here in our country. Polygamy. I'm sure many are aware that it exists, but I know there are laws governing its legality. Anyway, the story overall was a sad one. It told of an "underground railroad" type system, where young girls (usually age 13-16) are "smuggled" across the border into Canada and start a new life as one of the many wives of a polygamist. They interviewed one woman who admitted that she was one of 26 wives! That's incredible! I didn't even know what to think while I watched the story on TV. I was truly shocked. 26 wives?!?!?!?! What do you DO with 26 wives? Don't answer that.

But, really, what kind of sick, perverted, disgusting person desires more than one "love" in their life? What a sad individual. But what was even more sick and disgusting, was the fact that these young women very often look forward to it. Although some were saying that the young girls were forced across the border, others said that the majority stayed of their own accord. It was a "better life" for them. Why would any woman WANT to be one of many wives? What's in it for them? Sounds like they just become childbearing machines for the sick man of the house. When this one particular woman was asked about the "trafficking" of young women across the border, she responded with, "Well, it all depends on what you mean by trafficking." Her brothers back home in Arizona had deserted their previous life of bigamy and wished that their sister would come home. Unfortunately, she seemd perfectly content where she was. How sad.

Then to top it off, they started going through the statistics of the results of inbreeding in this small community in Arizona that sends its young women north. The frequency of handicapped/or disabled (whichever is PC today), was more than 2 times the national average! That's AMAZING! By the way, the name of the city is Colorado City way up on the border of Arizona and Utah. They even showed a small, quaint cemetery with many fresh graves, the eternal homes of the bodies of young, stillborn children; a result of the disgusting inbreeding that was taking place.

I don't really know what to say about the whole thing, but I thought that I would share what I learned with other people. I don't know if there is anything anyone can do, but something like this needs to be stopped. God did not create us to destroy ourselves like this. This is moral and physical destruction. I guess I live a sheltered life and didn't think that anything like this existed, but unfortunately, I was wrong.

So there are some happy thoughts to leave you with. Just when you think you have seen all of the sadness and corruption in the world, something else pops up and blindsides you. I guess all we can do is continue to pray.

Until next time...happy trails....

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home