Cowgirl Tunes

Monday, November 15, 2004

New Chair and Pony

I would like to announce that I FINALLY got a new office chair. Amazing. Well, its amazing considering the chair that I had been using (or trying to use, considering its condition) was probably about 15 years old. I think I got it when I was in 5th grade and it has since been well-used and abused. Let's see...the back was barely hanging on, and the seat itself tilted at this dangerous angle. All the cushioning was completely gone, which made your rear end fall asleep rather quickly, making for a miserable "day at the office." On more than one occasion, I would find myself sitting, working at my computer, and all of a sudden, it would jerk sideways and the back of the chair would fall away from my back and I would feel like I am falling rather violently towards the ground. Of course, I wouldn't hit the ground, but imagine the scare! How we all take for granted the simple things in life...like expecting a chair to hold you up when you sit down.

So this new chair is great. It has lots of cushioning for my poor bottom, and has a tall back with lumbar support! It even has armrests! Of course, those don't do me a whole lot of good because I cannot scoot the chair all the way in under the desk cuz the armrests get in the way...guess its time for a new desk too! It's on the list. Of course, I love the up and down feature as well. And its got a great swivel which keeps things exciting on those days that you just can't seem to focus on work. The best part about the whole thing was that it was on sale! Yes siree folks! Office Depot can be a wonderful place to shop...mail-in rebates are a good thing. I have learned that you have to take care of the mail-in rebates right away, or you never do anything about it, and there goes the money that you COULD have saved. So I quickly sealed up a copy of my receipt, UPC symbol, and required form in an envelope, stamped it, and placed it in the "Outgoing Mail" stack on the kitchen counter. Ahhh...now if only I could pay my bills as promptly! he he he...

Did I mention yet that I bought a horse? She's nothing fantastic to brag about, except that I got her at a screaming good deal. Just to bring her into the world, the original owners (breeders) paid $25,000 for her. Of course that was just the stud fee, not including mare care, vet bills, feed, and other incidentals of horse ownership. I, of course, did NOT pay $25,000. I almost feel guilty for the amount that I paid, but such is life.

So why the sudden change of subject? Well, I cantered the little filly today. She was actually pretty good, except for when she tried to swing her head around to bite my foot when I tapped her in the sides. If anyone knows anything about horses, they'll understand when I talk about training a two year old....filly......thoroughbred. I think I am just a glutton for punishment. Not only did I take the more moody of the two sexes (sorry ladies!), but I topped it off with a flighty, hot-blooded breed!

So why did I get this horse, you ask? She was definitely investment material. If all goes well (and I'm praying it does), I will be able to sell her in a few months for around $10,000. Not too bad of an investment. And all that time, I am having fun. I am always in a good mood when I get to work around horses, even when they don't do what I want. I know that I can always come back the next day, after we both have had time to "sleep on it" and usually things work out just fine. If you have not ever had the privilege to work around horses (and I don't mean just going for a trail ride), I highly recommend giving it a try. Take a lesson, or two, or five. Start from the ground up; grooming, saddling, bridling, cleaning the stalls, working them on the ground....you can learn a lot from a horse! And you learn a different means of communication. Body language means a lot. I could go on about the philosophy and joys of training horses, but I'll spare you. I'm sure you'll hear plenty before I have exhausted this blogspot.

So I leave you with one thought:
If you ever get the chance to go to the races, go. Bet on a horse...just one. It's kinda fun! But leave your ATM card at home.

Until next time....Happy Trails.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home