Cowgirl Tunes

Monday, January 23, 2006

Drink to My Health

Well, good evening, and welcome to yet another rant from the cowgirl.

Health insurance. Need I say more? It's not insurance, it's, well INSIDIOUS!!! I happen to really like that word, and for those of you who think I don't know what I am talking about, I even happened to look it up!

insidious: adj. 1. intended to entrap or beguile 2. stealthily treacherous or deceitful, (and my personal favorite...) 3. operating or proceeding in an inconspicuous or seemingly harmless way but actually with grave effect.

So it is without question that I do declare health insurance companies to be in fact, insidious altogether. They themselves are an insidious disease (used in the dictionary reference that I cited), that we, ironically, cannot live without. Well, I guess we can, but the question is...how long. They operate in a way that SEEMS harmless ("Oh, yes, we're here to HELP you when you get sick, and help reduce your doctor's bills..."), but in actuality, they are raping you for all you're worth (financially).

Today, after a quite wonderful day of riding and training horses, working cattle and the like, I collected my mail only to be unpleasantly surprised with a notice from my so-called insurance (insidious) company. Effective March 1, my premiums are going to increase. Mind you, this is not an oh-so-small, don't-worry-about-it, it's-not-a-big-deal increase. Oh no, it was a whopping $40.00 per month increase on my already hefty premium. My premium is already increased due to the fact that I was seen previously for something that is not going to ever kill me, but they thought I may cost them a tiny tiny bit of money one day, so they jacked me up. So, now I am getting hit twice!!!!

So what is their excuse, you ask? Oh yes...the rising cost of health care, new technology (of which I have yet to take advantage) etc, etc. Rising cost, my foot! What they don't want to really tell me is that my premium is going to cover the cost of bogus claims by people trying to rape the system. This country is so screwed up. We have to pay outrageous amounts of money to go to university/college, and then once we are out and trying to start a life on our own, we can't afford to get health insurance. Then, of course, because the insurance companies are so crooked, doctors jack up their rates (rising cost of health care) and we all get screwed. To top it all off, no one in government is doing a DANG thing about it. Instead, we are dumping a gazillion dollars in Iraq (a country we will NEVER save...), illegal aliens are having children on US soil to reap our benefits, illegals are getting free health care, workman's comp claims are out of control, social security benefits are dwindling, and the government continues to pay for new computers for all terminals in the VA Hospitals. How screwed up is that???

Is there nothing we can do? Sure I can raise a stink, but it'll get "buried in appropriations" and its business as usual. I can't afford insurance, but I also can't afford to not have insurance. Why are other countries getting it right? Their governments subsidize education and health care.

Health insurance companies are terrorists on our home turf, yet we are out there fighting a war on a concept, not something that is tangible. Let's bring it home, and deal with our problems here. I want to know that if I get sick, I won't feel guilty because I can't pay my doctor's bill. You might as well just shoot me now!

A little much, I know, but that's how I feel. I'm gonna go pop my vitamins and get ready for bed, cuz this here cowgirl wants to ride for years to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home